Sunday, August 19, 2007

What Has Gone On Since Mexico

While I was away, our RE’s office submitted our request to have the IVIg covered. It was declined (no surprise there). By the time I spoke RE’s office again, this past Friday, they had already sent in their appeal. I spoke with Nurse Nice and she said, “We don’t give up that easily.” She said that they sent in the appeal with all the updated information and statistics. Nurse Nice did admit that some had agreed to pay after an appeal was made. However, because we have the state health plan ours was not likely to be overturned.

I asked what my levels were and she told me that it didn't really matter because they were abnormal. Either way this was the treatment that I needed. She did say that if costs were too high that when we came in for our consult with Dr. K that other options would be discussed. Again, if there really are other options, I am just glad to know she is willing to talk about them to me.

It was nice to feel like there was someone else who was fighting for me besides me. I love L but he doesn't do the research I do or understand what hormones mean and their purpose. He tries but I am not sure I would be as invested or understand as much if I were a male. He supports me but usually by saying, "Whatever you want" or "Whatever makes you comfortable."

I spoke briefly with the company who would be doing my transfusion. They were actually the first ones to tell me that my claim was denied. She answered some of my questions and told me that the treatment is done by a nurse inside the home, which made me feel better. It seemed like there were less complications related to logistics with that. Dr. K would make recommendations on the number of units based up on the person, usually between 25-40mg. The levels are re-tested every month to see if further treatment is needed. Again, I found this comforting because it seems my dr didn't want to do anything unnecessary. Each unit is $100.00 and then some additional fees. She did tell me that they give cash discounts if insurance will not cover it. It's something so I will take it.

I will schedule my saline u/s as soon as AF arrives and then we will talk about the treatment and possibly other options.
************************************************

On a much more hopeful note a friend of mine, a fellow RPL’er, found out that she is pregnant. She told me that her numbers look better than they ever had and while trying to not get too hopeful, they have reason to be. She has had four pregnancies and none have ever progressed past 6 weeks. Please send her prayers and positive energy!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I sure hope the IVIg appeal goes through. It is nice that they aren't giving up without a fight. Damn right!

I will be sending lots of good sticky vibes to your friend! It always gives me hope to hear of a fellow IFer achieving success.