Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Little Political

I made sure that Lil' P and I watched the inauguration today. No matter who you voted for history was in the making. It's important that it's acknowledged and applauded.

In full disclosure, I was one of the 5.7 million people who did not vote for him. However, I am giving him 4 years to earn my vote. With that said, I hope that he guides this country safely during his presidency and may he have nothing but wisdom and health.

I must admit I am a little tired of people making him out to be the greatest icon ever. He hasn't had to do anything yet. Yet, I feel like people are already writing down in the history books that he was the greatest president ever.

I think that constantly hearing about change has left people with unrealistic expectations. Sadly, when those parameters are set up it often leads to disappointment. No one is perfect, not the last president nor our 44th. He's a human. A person. Just like you and me.

He has a lot to live up to and I can only imagine the pressure. And the relief of our last president as he passed the baton.

With all the political mud that was thrown during the election, really all elections, I was wondering. Is there a time when the new president sits in the oval office, with his closest advisers, and is given all the information about a decision his predecessor made and thinks "Oh, well, now that decision makes sense"?

There must be. I wonder what moment it will be for him.

What do you think was said when they walked into the W.hite Hous.e, for the first time, as the 1st family?

I think it went along the lines of "Holy Sh*t!!!"

4 comments:

RBandRC said...

"Holy Shit" sounds about right to me. That would be my response, anyway. :P

I agree...while I enjoyed watching today's events I'm very tired of the media's portrayal of him as the greatest president ever. It's a bit much. Perhaps if and when he does something monumental said praise will be warranted and I will give it freely...until then, let's pony up and get to work. There's a major economic crisis to fix. Oh yes, and two wars still left to be fought...there are plenty of things that need major fixing and plenty of opportunities for him to earn the praise he has up until this point been given without real effort. But that's just my opinion... :)

amylynn said...

I agree there is a lot of fixing to do... BTW have you had your u/s yet? Just thinking about you.

C said...

Of course I already voiced my opinion over on my own blog, but I'm glad to know that there are others out there who feel the same as I do.

I WANT him to succeed, b/c he is our President...I just don't want to idolize him so that he only falls faster.

Dan & Hillary said...

I believe Obama is more an image than a political figure but history will only tell, I suppose. I am saddened by his strong support of abortion and embryo usage for research.

Hoping that your u/s goes well today!

Thanks for you support.