***Pregnancy Mentioned***
So we had our first birthing class on Saturday. I think that it will give us a lot of information, which is something that always makes me feel better. The teacher of the class was one of the two doulas I considered. Teach, the one teaching the class, and the other we'll call M, because I can't think of anything creative right now.
L thought that Teach was rather bossy and told me that he felt intimidated by her. Which I thought was funny. She's been in the birthing business for over 20 years, I thought she was just confident and had her definite opinions. I can't help but wonder if L felt that she was "bossy" because she was a women. He did agree with me that we would get a lot of good information out of the class.
Which brings me to the next little update. I have thought about it a lot over the last month and I have realized that what I want is my mom physically present at the birth. That isn't going to happen although I know she will be there in spirit. I am wanting something a little more concrete (nothing personal mom!) The next best thing is a doula. Someone to help us at home, help at the hospital, help us stay calm and focused. To make sure we are calling as many shots as possible (it is my body) and to make sure we aren't getting bowled over by doctors. So during our drive to the birthing class I explained all this to L. He told me still understood why I would want another women there, that I have good intuition, he does not believe that it would be selfish of me to spend money on a doula, and he is happy with whatever I want.
I thought about it more during class and about what L said. My very first instinct was was to have a doula and I think that it's important I feel as supported as possible. So I have emailed the doula I wanted, M, and am hoping that she is still available. As soon as I made that decision, I could feel a large portion of my anxiety ease. And I don't feel as intimidated anymore or like I have to be "so" prepared. That last statement makes me sound a little neurotic, yikes!
I think that L is even more comfortable with having a doula because in the class there was a lot of talk about higher rates of post-partum depression among women who were unhappy with their birth experiences. I think that made L take notice. I told L that M is a younger that Teach, she felt a little more laid back to me and that I really liked the way she answered my questions (it was the reason I interviewed her in person) He said that he would like someone who is younger- like she would be a little more on our level. I agree that M is more our style of person so I am hoping that this will work out.
The only other info I really have to offer on the baby front is that I finally started a registry. It was crazy strange but I have. I am glad I started it online because I became overwhelmed (I had flash back of registering when I was getting married- ugh!) I have been doing some research on certain products but- it was nothing like having to really make a decision. Anyway, I plan on finishing some more up in the store next weekend as one of good friends, who is about to be a second time mom, is going to come with me. She wants to see all the new stuff and I want someone there to say, "You don't want that one because... try this one instead".
Sorry it takes so long for me to post these days but with L gone all the time I am trying to take care of everything myself. Then I am trying to work as much as possible while I have the energy so we can save some cash. I do check the blogs all the time I just may not comment! Hope all you lovelies can forgive me :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
No worries, but take care of yourself and don't work too much! :)
I'm glad you came to the doula decision, and I hope it's awesome for you! I groaned when I read you started a registry - flashbacks to wedding registries is right! What a nightmare that was. It was like the worst thing ever for j, he still complains about it once a month.
Good for you for going with your heart on the doula decision.
And don't work TOO hard, you need to pamper yourself, my dear.
I felt really sad when I read about your wanting your mom with you in person. There is nothing like a mother's comforting touch... the first face, the first hands you ever knew and loved. I hope that you can feel her presence with you now and all along the way through birth.
Post a Comment