Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Different Families

**pregnancy mentioned**

Maybe it's just the time of year, which tomorrow's post will explain, but things have just been hard these couple of days. I have been very nervous about my pregnancy this week. I don't have any physical reason to be concerned, I just am. You all know that when you do the fertility treatment track long enough, you see all kinds of sad things. I don't feel like there is ever a "safe time" in pregnancy. So how am I going to enjoy this process? Questions, questions...

But this isn't what I really wanted to talk about. It's my in-laws (IL) I wanted to talk about.

I want to first say that overall, my IL's are very different than my own family, but they are still great people. Very loving, supportive, good hearted people. They always have the best of intentions. My IL's are very southern, traditional people. They celebrate things in a very traditional way. We have very different styles in almost every way. Such as clothes, to home decorations, to color choices, and... to baby showers.

My family and I do the baby shower thing, just not in traditional way. Yes, you send out invitations, but skip the streamers. Maybe a balloon or two. No traditional baby shower games but maybe some type of game. We are a casual mid-west family... not-so-flashy people... homegrown. Do see what I am getting at?

Well, I was feeling some tension as my IL's hinted that they might throw me a baby shower. As I mentioned this to my sisters, they felt that it was their job to throw it. Actually, what my middle sister said was, "sisters get first dibs... we are so excited and we want to throw you one." So I was now I am feeling more tension. I tried to talk to L about it- to help avoid any toes being stepped on. It didn't get very far. Which I can understand... it's his baby too (or is it??- just kidding!) His family has been waiting right along with us as well. My concern was, if they throw me a shower and ask for a list of people from me who will I invite to my sister's shower? Or, would they be insulted if I only gave them 4 names? The four people would include my two sisters and two friends who I could tell why they were invited to two showers. What would happen if I suggested a combination shower? Then the issue becomes location. L's family lives about an hour and a half from my side and my friends.

Then the phone call- his sister and one of her friends wants to throw us a shower. I really am touched. Really, I am. I wasn't sure I would even get one shower, let alone two. (I am a little introverted and feel awkward inviting people to things- I feel like I am saying "Hey, come and bring me a present!") So it's very sweet of them, as I am not that close to her, and L is very touched by it as well.

After some non-intrusive digging, turns out the IL's want to throw a shower basically for their side of the family. More in the way of a wedding shower if you will, at least from what I gather. So they are going to need no list from me. I think "Whew! Catastrophe avoided!" I can still have my kind of shower, and the IL's can still have their type of shower. Everyone's happy.

So I tell this to one of my sister's last night. She was still indignant about it but I think partly on my behalf. When I told her that I wasn't going to have to provide any names she said, "So they don't care who you want to invite?" Which I guess is true. Then she was upset because she felt like the IL's were being presumptuous- not considering that my sisters would like to throw me a shower. Combined with that I told them I was concerned about not having enough people to invite in the first place and that I told them so... (Sigh....) At the root of it she said she was upset because she felt like the IL's thought that they wouldn't throw me a shower "the right way." As they are traditionalists, and we are not. I tried to explain that I thought that multiple showers were the tradition in their world but I am not sure if she cared.

I told her I didn't see why we couldn't have two showers and then we could have one that was completely the way we wanted it to be. She agreed that we could. When I tell my other sister, things will get much uglier. She can rant for a while about stuff. I am hoping that I can explain it in a better way. I just hate this feeling that my family feels stepped on. Which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

IL's are already talking about how I need to think about registering in the the next couple of months. So they can tell people if they ask. IF they ask. You know that means? Presents I don't like or want (again very different styles). I don't want to sound ungrateful, but all these people live an hour and a half away. Which means if I am going to return something- it will be an hour and a half away to do so. Now I just sound like a bitch who isn't appreciative.... (sigh)

I just wish our families weren't so different sometimes. Overall, I do feel lucky and blessed that there are so many people who are excited for us and want to celebrate. I know that this is a celebration for them too.

********************************************
I also wish my mom was here to give advice or to talk too about this. She was always good at this thing and today is her birthday. So I would like to say, happy birthday mom! I love you.

4 comments:

JJ said...

I hope that there are many "safe" feeling days to come--Im sure its tough NOT to be nervous.
Hope all the shower things get worked out!

RBandRC said...

Family issues are the absolute worst. I had similar issues when my sister was pregnant and because of that we decided that we wouldn't throw a shower for one another at all. I like this idea because my family is bat-shit crazy and G's family, well, they aren't really, so when there are functions my family's dysfunctions stick out big time.

I hope everything gets resolved soon and more importantly, I hope it gets resolved in a way that makes YOU happy. :)

Shakira said...

I'm thinking that my advice should be given over the phone because as you know I must use dirty words to get my point across. We just got back from Miami so I'll call you soon.

Big Hugs all around!
We love you guys!

E. Phantzi said...

Sounds familiar... not me, but a good friend. *Sigh.*

Happy birthday to your mom, too. I imagine you miss her so much.