Thursday, December 17, 2009

What's Your Poison?

While my pregnancy with LP was quiet and uneventful, his labor was, well... less than ideal.

My water broke without warning and 45 minutes later my contractions started. I then waited 14 hours before getting the epidural because I have to wait for the blood thinners to wear off. So a total of 31 hours later, including two hours of pushing, LP arrived.

There was very little that I liked about his labor. I realize it's labor but you get my point.

So I am hoping for something different this time. Something less draining and Lord willing, shorter.

I have been sitting on the fence about doing an induction for quite some time. There are many things that I like about the idea but just as many that I don't. When I think about starting labor naturally or with induction, neither leaves me a feeling of resolve. I often tell people that sometimes we have to pick our poison. That's what I am doing now.

My greatest worry about all this is making the wrong decision.

L has been awesome. He withheld his opinion but then he saw it weighing on me too heavily and openly and gently gave his opinion. Which was for induction but only a few days out from the due date.

As a friend recently pointed out to me, there is no wrong way to bring a baby into the world. All I can do is try and make the best possible decision for my family without letting others influence.

I think that the best decision, over all, is induction. (Just saying it out loud makes me nervous...)

So now my greatest obstacle, at this point, is telling my doula.

Who happens to be my sister. She believes greatly in allowing the birth process to happen naturally, in it's own way and time, and with as little medical intervention as possible. (Though, what else would you expect from a doula?)

I know, a doula??

Despite it being an induction there will still be the pain of labor before I can start my epidural. I am nervous about being more aware of my surroundings since I won't be as exhausted (crossing fingers). I also want a woman present who has attempted natural labor as well as gone through a c- section, in case I end up there. While my nervousness is certainly related to the pain it relates more largely to duration and length of the labor.

I know my sister will support L and I in our decision and that when the time comes she will be our biggest cheerleader. This is about me confronting the now family matriarch. Me saying, "I know you aren't thrilled with my decision but please support me anyway."

It's about me standing up for my family.

It's got to start sometime, right?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definately have to do what is right for you. Your family has to understand that its your body as well.

Anonymous said...

You always have to do what is wright for you. Like you said, your sister will understand. And I love that your friend said there's no wrong way to bring a baby into the world, so very true.

I know it doesn't help much, but I was induced with B (at 40w4d) and LOVED it. We chose induction because his head was measuring 4 weeks ahead of his body/gestational age and I was worried that if we didn't get him out sooner than later his head wouldn't fit through my pelvis.

Are you on blood thinners this time around (will you have to wait to get an epidural again)?

My induction started at 9:30pm with cytotec, which was completely minimally invasive (small pill on my cervix). Which was enough to break my water and get contractions started on its own. They eventually did start the pitocin the next morning. I only pushed for 15 minutes... and I don't think that was necessarily from the epidural, but I do think my body was relaxed from feeling some sort of control over the process that I was able to relax a bit and let things happen. (And he had the cord around his neck and was delivered with vacuum assistance just so we could get him out).

My only advice? Don't take an Ambien if they offer you one to sleep. I took one and then my water broke/contractions started and was in an awake Ambien fog for 8 hours until it wore off. Not. fun.

You will do great! Sorry for the unsolicited advice. Can't wait to "meet" this new little peanut. :) xo

Laura said...

I wish I knew something wise to say, but I've yet to experience this dilemma. I pray that you have peace with your decision, and that your sister also embrace it. If it helps at all, I apparently was an induced baby. My mom was three weeks overdue with me when she was induced. I was due on Groundhog's Day and my dad likes to joke that I stuck my head out and saw my shadow so went back inside for six more weeks. It's a pretty gross thought, if you think about it, but I hope that it can give you a good laugh, and some reassurance since I think I turned out okay (but then again, I guess I'm biased). Hang in there, and God bless!

Heather said...

You have to do what is right for you. But also just remember that first deliveries are usually longer than following ones. With the twins, my water broke and I was hospitalized and they kept labor off. I was very comfortable and had very very few contractions.

Two days later, by the time I woke up and realized I was in hard labor, the doctor came in and I was fully dilated and the first baby's head was crowning. I had to hold off pushing for 2 hours so my doctor and husband could get there. They were born 11 minutes apart. I think it went really quickly compared to the 21 hours of hard labor I had with the first one.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

hey are you on blood thinners with this pregnancy too? i am more terrified about blood thinners during labor than anything!! i've managed to convince myself that i'm going to bleed out!! how does that work?

i've known a lot of people that have chosen to be induced and loved it and then some that didn't. just make sure you do what feels best for you and baby.

C said...

I was induced on my edd. My body took to it great & I'm glad I went that route. Ended up needing a csection but induction wasn't the cause, he was just too big for my small pelvis. I'm positive you'll do great! If you want any more info as far as my experience let me know!

Grad3 said...

Thanks ladies- I will update soon on what has happened :)

I am still on Lovenox which is why the decision is such a struggle for me!